Out of School Time
22 Sites, 6, 355 youth, 273 teachers
Youth spend 15 hours or more a school week in Out of School Time (OST) programming – and long hours in the summer – and so OST is prime time for active learning.
HealthMPowers helps after-school and summer programs bring more opportunities to youth to try healthy foods and be physically active.
HealthMPowers offers a comprehensive, multi-year approach to building healthier behaviors and environments that meets the National AfterSchool Association’s Healthy Eating and Physical Activity (HEPA) standards.
Results from our annual survey of Health Empowered OST sites reveal:
- 2,932 youth had physical activity incorporated into all program areas
- 2,289 youth were given more healthy beverage options
- 883 youth were involved in food service decision making at their site
- 100% of sites improved availability of non-traditional and non-competitive physical activities
- 659 hours of cooking, gardening, and taste testing provided
- 33% increase in the number of club members in the healthy fitness zone for aerobic capacity
Empowering Healthy Habits
- 71% of participants met national guidelines of 2+ fruits per day
- 49% of participants reported meeting national guidelines of 3+ vegetables per day
- 69% of participants drank water 4+ times per day