58 Sites, 43,588 youth, 2,535 teachers
Ramping up nutrition and physical activity are especially important for middle and high school students – improving their attention and focus and reducing the risk of depression, anxiety and chronic diseases like Type 2 diabetes.
HealthMPowers offers a comprehensive, multi-year approach that engages youth to build healthier behaviors and environments.
Results from our 2019-2020 Health Empowered secondary schools reveal:
- School health teams implemented 57 new policies and processes to improve nutrition and physical activity
- 62% of schools created a Student Health Advocate team to implement a plan for improving healthy eating or physical activity support
- 1,080 Student Health Advocates were trained to promote improvements in healthy eating and physical activity in their schools
- 15 schools received grants to improve physical activity and healthy eating
Empowering Healthy Habits
- 68% had classroom physical activity at least five days per week
- 62% reported playing on sports teams
- 42% participated in before-school physical activity
- 59% participated in after-school physical activity
- Showed an increase in number of steps during the school day for the fourth year in a row