HealthMPowers is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to championing healthy habits and transforming environments where children live, learn and play. With a strong 20-year track record, a variety of funding sources, and well-developed partnerships with government agencies, civic organizations, school systems and others, HealthMPowers is poised for continued success in improving nutrition security and physical activity of children to impact future health, academic success as well as economic and national security.
By integrating nutrition education and physical activity into settings where children spend their time (schools, childcare centers, and after-school programs), the organization creates a culture that supports lifelong healthy lifestyle choices for children, staff, families and communities. Using the evidence-based guidelines established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), HealthMPowers has a proven track record of improving health knowledge, behavior, physical fitness and environments for sustainable health improvements in low-income communities.
The Controller will be responsible for all accounting and financial reporting for the organization which has an operating budget of $6.6 million. The position will be a member of the senior leadership team and will play an active support role to the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors, and the President and CEO. Specific responsibilities include the overall financial management of the organization including the review, approval, preparation and finalization of monthly and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for the CEO and Board of Directors, oversee budgeting processes throughout the year, financial forecasting, and the organization’s cash flow position. The Controller will also lead the organization’s annual audit process. In addition, the Controller would supervise and work in partnership with two part-time grant accountants. The Controller will also be involved in the implementation of the strategic plan, including responsible for all financial-related KPIs, and development initiatives to ensure sound and accurate financial management practices permeate throughout the organization. The Controller plays a central role in the development, maintenance, direction and oversight of all financial and accounting activities. The Controller position requires excellent attention to detail, problem-solving skills and excellent communication skills. The ability to exercise professional discretion and discernment, independent judgment, and business acumen, is also critical. Without exception, the Controller position requires a proven track record of trustworthiness, personal accountability, and exceptional ethics. In addition, the Controller should have knowledge of contracting and a mastery of QuickBooks and Excel.
JOB TITLE: Controller
EMPLOYER: HealthMPowers, Inc.
REPORTS TO: CEO
SALARY RANGE: $80,000-$85,000 base salary + competitive benefit package
- Manage all aspects of accounting, billing, financial statements, general ledger, cost accounting, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, tax compliance, revenue recognition, and various special analyses.
- Collaborate with the CEO and Board of Directors to develop financial objectives, as well as track and report progress against objectives.
- Liaison with the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors, managing committee requests and meetings.
- Assist CEO with preparing the annual organizational budget, forecasting requirements, scheduling expenditures, monitoring/funding balances and analyzing variances. Regularly review financial reporting and forecasts with pertinent members of the leadership team. Prepare reporting for the board.
- Partner with human resources staff on all salary and benefits-related activities and initiatives.
- Partner with the fund development and accounting staff to develop and maintain tools for managing grants and support grant budget preparation, tracking and reporting.
- Lead the 990 process from preparation to filing.
- Build strong internal relationships to ensure that accounting functions support program delivery. Lead the team budget creation and management processes and conduct regular reviews of financial activity against budget.
- Plan and prepare accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports.
- Serve as the primary lead for the annual audit; organize information and statements for audits and both internal and external auditors.
- Define, benchmark, document, maintain and implement accounting policies and operational best practices.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal laws regarding finances, tax filings, reporting, including ensuring HealthMPowers complies with all additional legal and regulatory requirements.
- Establishes and maintains financial controls with the accounting department.
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Creates reports that help senior leadership understand company financials.
- Maintain cash schedule and assist with cash flow forecasting.
- Ensure preparation of bank account reconciliations and general ledger account analyses and reconciliations.
- Ensure accurate management of grant, project and tax reporting matters.
- Provide regular feedback and direction to senior staff, and program managers regarding budgetary status.
- Manage relationships with external entities including banks, investment advisors, and insurance carriers.
- Oversees an effective and timely billing system that assures that all services are billed correctly, and include proper documentation, and minimizes the time necessary to collect payments.
- Develops and implements a continuous financial training program for staff at all levels of the organization, and measures the impact of that training in terms of improvements and compliance.
- Reviews and approves all contracts that have a financial impact on the organization and assures that management is well-aware of the financial implications of entering into those contracts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Directly supervises one employee within the finance
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Degree in finance, business administration, or accounting required with a minimum of 6 years of progressive professional finance experience.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience as Controller with a nonprofit that had annual revenues of at least $3,000,000. Experience managing government grants preferred.
- Computer skills required: accounting software such as QuickBooks, Jot Form, various purchase order systems, contract management systems; Microsoft Office suite; payroll systems.
- Experience with A-133 audits preferred.
- Other skills required:
- Proven work experience in accounting or a related field.
- Understanding of applicable laws and regulations.
- Understanding of financial data analysis and reporting.
- Knowledge of payroll, accounts payable, and accounts receivable functions.
- Ability to deliver quality work on tight deadlines, with strong organization and priority-setting skills.
- Proven experience in financial project management.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
HealthMPowers® is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training and apprenticeship.