Director of Development
HealthMPowers is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to champion healthy habits and transform environments where children live, learn, and play. With a strong 20-year track record, a variety of funding sources, and well-developed partnerships with government agencies, civic organizations, school systems, and others, HealthMPowers is poised for continued success in improving healthy eating and physical activity of children to impact future health, academic success as well as economic and national security.
By integrating nutrition education and physical activity into settings where children spend their time (schools, childcare centers, and after-school programs), the organization creates a culture that supports lifelong healthy lifestyle choices for children, staff, families, and communities. Using the evidence-based guidelines established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), HealthMPowers has a proven track record of improving health knowledge, behavior, physical fitness, and environments for sustainable health improvements in low-income communities.
The Director of Development is responsible for managing the development work of the organization. The Director of Development creates, implements, and evaluates an annual development plan designed to raise revenue to ensure HealthMPowers can achieve its goals. In this position, the Director of Development supports the fundraising efforts of the President, the board of directors, and the advisory council. The Director of Development works collaboratively with the President, the board, and key staff to plan, execute, and evaluate annual development strategies to ensure the financial continuity and sustainability of the organization and its ability to deliver on its mission. The Director of Development is a member of the HealthMPowers leadership team and reports directly to the President.
JOB TITLE: Director of Development
EMPLOYER: HealthMPowers, Inc.
DEPARTMENT: Leadership Team
REPORTS TO: President/CEO
POSITION TYPE: Salary-exempt employee, eligible for competitive benefits package
- In conjunction with President and board and staff leadership, draft and implement a comprehensive development plan reflecting strategies to diversify the organization’s revenue to support the short and long-term resource needs of HealthMPowers.
- Manage the cultivation, appeal and stewardship of all corporate and institutional funders including but not limited to identifying, writing and submitting foundation grants and appeals, as well as the stewardship of the relationships from required reporting to relationship-building activities.
- Lead efforts to grow the individual donor base through appeals and campaigns throughout the year.
- Closely partner with the board of directors and advisory council to maximize giving opportunities through personal commitments, network relationships and cultivation of new members.
- Manage the organization’s annual report publication and regular donor communications.
- Collaborate on marketing strategies to ensure investors are recognized, connected to the work and regularly see the impact of their investment.
- Plan and execute special events and supporting fundraising events including but not limited to signature events, funder briefings and more.
- Alongside supporting staff, manage the organization’s donor database to ensure timely acknowledgement, recording, receipt, restriction (if applicable) and communication of all charitable gifts.
- Represent the organization among partners, funders, staff, board and advisory council members in meetings, speaking engagements and planning conversations.
- Evaluate all development activities on an annual basis to maximize efficacy.
- Minimum three years of experience in fund development in a non-profit setting.
- CFRE (Certified Fund Raising Executive) desired but not required.
Other Skills Required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven track record of raising revenue in a non-profit setting.
- Must be detail-oriented, have good analytical abilities, high energy level and be comfortable performing strategic projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities.
- Ability to multi-task while also demonstrating a consistent attention to detail.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Occasional night and weekend availability to meet deadlines or manage fundraising events.
- Demonstrate a commitment to HealthMPowers values.
- Ability to drive (or learn to drive) HealthMPowers van.
- Ability to lift/push/carry/maneuver items up to 25 pounds.
- Excellent event planning, organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong research-based nutrition and physical activity knowledge.
- Intermediate proficiency in computer skills, specifically Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong and polished public-speaking abilities.
How To Apply
Salary is commensurate with experience in addition to a competitive benefits package and flexible work environment. Base salary range is $70,000-$90,000.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
HealthMPowers® is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training and apprenticeship.