Health Educator – Out of School Time
HealthMPowers is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering children to have healthy habits and transforming environments where children live, learn and play. With a strong 20-year track record, a variety of funding sources, and well-developed partnerships with government agencies, civic organizations, school systems and others, HealthMPowers is poised for continued success in improving healthy eating and physical activity of children to impact future health, academic success as well as economic and national security.
By integrating nutrition education and physical activity into settings where children spend their time (schools, childcare centers, and after-school programs), the organization creates a culture that supports lifelong healthy lifestyle choices for children, staff, families and communities. Using the evidence-based guidelines established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), HealthMPowers has a proven track record of improving health knowledge, behavior, physical fitness and environments for sustainable health improvements in low-income communities.
The Out of School Time Health Educator implements HealthMPowers programming to their sites to empower youth to make healthier choices and make sustainable changes that transform environments where children live, learn and play.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Schedule and deliver all SNAP-Ed nutrition/physical activity on-site direct services to the assigned afterschool sites for youth, site staff and families.
- Deliver face to face and/or distance learning trainings for the site teams and provide coaching on best practices for the topic areas in nutrition and physical activity.
- Participate as a Site Health Team member for assigned sites, offering resources and support as appropriate.
- Document work with each site to show progress toward accomplishment of program objectives and adoption of incremental behavior and PSE change.
- Collect sector data as required.
- Provide technical assistance, resources and advice to assist sites in achieving their plans for nutrition/physical activity improvement based on their needs assessment results.
- Provide training and activities for Youth Health Advocates and Youth Health Advisor, if requested.
- Assist in developing and conducting tri-annual trainings.
- Provide outstanding service and escalate issues where sites are dissatisfied.
- Share knowledge with HealthMPowers staff for the benefits of our sites.
- Collect qualitative information from sites for creating success stories.
- Perform clerical and non-instructional assignments as assigned.
- Maintain accurate records.
Experience: Nutrition, Health Science, Public Health, Urban Health, Education, Youth Engagement
Background: Minimum 1-year experience in related field
- Ability to work independently as well as in a group
- Experience with classroom management strongly preferred
- Experience with gardening
- Passion for empowering children and healthy lifestyles
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, quickly evolving environment
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.