Lead Community Engagement Specialist
HealthMPowers is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering children to have healthy habits and transforming environments where children live, learn and play. With a strong 20-year track record, a variety of funding sources, and well-developed partnerships with government agencies, civic organizations, school systems and others, HealthMPowers works to improve the health of children, staff, families and communities through improving healthy eating and physical activity behaviors and creating a culture that supports lifelong healthy lifestyle choices.
Using the evidence-based guidelines established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), HealthMPowers works to improve health knowledge, behavior, and environments for sustainable improvements in low-income communities.
The Lead Community Engagement Specialist will work closely with the entire community team to schedule, conduct and implement services with partnering sites. This specifically includes facilitating Cooking Matters classes, cooking demonstrations and supporting garden initiatives. This position will also assist with reporting, recruiting new sites and securing community partners who have a common goal of increasing food access and consumption, specifically fruits and vegetables.
JOB TITLE: Lead Community Engagement Specialist
EMPLOYER: HealthMPowers, Inc.
REPORTS TO: Project Director
SALARY RANGE: $46,000-$48,000 + Competitive Benefit package
- Consistently engage with community leaders to ensure HealthMPowers work complements and supports, and does not duplicate or supplant, the nutrition and physical activity goals established by the community (e.g. Family Connection and/or Department of Public Health action plans).
- Partner with local food retailers (inclusive of food pantries, farmers markets, farm trucks, mobile vending, etc.) to increase access to fruits and vegetables.
- Conduct adult education (in-person and/or virtually) and fruit/vegetable taste-testing demonstrations that reinforce the importance of healthy eating and physical activity at food retail outlets, food pantries, farmers markets, schools, local non-profits and community centers.
- Provide support for hands-on garden lessons and taste-testing experiences within schools and community settings.
- Represent SNAP-Ed and HealthMPowers on committees addressing community mobilization and health improvement.
- Support school and community healthy eating and physical activity promotion events.
- Document work with community to show progress toward accomplishment of program objectives.
- Ensure program implementation is consistent with HealthMPowers quality standards and evidence-based practices.
- Collect and submit setting data as required.
- Provide technical assistance and advice to schools and community.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in nutrition, public/community health, health science or related field
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to identify challenges and actively work to find solutions.
- A demonstrated commitment to equity.
- A commitment to producing high-quality and detailed work.
- The ability to learn quickly, work in a fast-paced environment and multi-task effectively.
- Strong skills related to navigating technology and digital platforms including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Zoom and other virtual meeting/facilitation platforms.
- The ability to manage and work effectively with others at all levels of the organization and to consistently display a high level of professionalism in all interactions.
- The ability to work well independently while collaborating with others on meeting common goals.
- Ability to lift, push, carry or maneuver items up to 25 pounds.
- An ability to work non-standard hours and occasional evenings and weekends.
- Ability to drive (or learn to drive) HealthMPowers van
Other Skills Preferred
- Experience using Adobe, Canva or other design platforms
- Excellent presentation skills; both in-person and virtually
- Knowledge and/or experience with school/community gardening
- Experience conducting cooking/taste testing demonstrations
- Excels in public speaking
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Excellent time-management skills
Out-of-area and overnight travel within Georgia is expected.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
HealthMPowers® is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training and apprenticeship.